Sonntag, 2. August 2009

Maintaining living standards

Hello my fellow Non-London-followers (the London people too of course),
as I have mentioned about a zillion times before, I love London. And yet, I came to wonder about something a couple of times last month. It is really really hard to live organically.
I come from a German city that is plastered with organic supermarkets on nearly every corner, so I am sorta spoiled in being able to find everything one needs to live an organic life (which as most people know I try to do). I know at least five places where I can get organic fruit, vegetables, dairy, noodles, toiletries, cleaning products etc in one shop.
I mean I am living in one of world's most exciting cities with nearly 9 million other people. I´t is therefore easy to assume I wouldn't have any problems maintaining my organic living standard I have developed in Germany. BUT no. It took me nearly a month and some half-decent google research to find a shop that is selling organic soy yoghurt that is not literally on the other side of the city. There should be other lacto-intolerant people here right? At least some vegans? Come on people where are you hiding (and more importantly: where are you shopping??)?
I can get organic food in Tesco's or Sainsbury's but just carrots (sometimes), milk (sometimes) and yoghurt (sometimes). But I cannot eat that much dairy so I have to rely on soy products. And here come the problems.
I can live without organic supermarkets. But the little nice shops that are selling organic goods are all on the North of the river (I am not) and close when a working person is leaving the office. There are a lot of delivery services for organic veggies but they are not worth the trouble for just three months.
So I keep on searching.


Cheers, Tini

Keine Kommentare: