Montag, 17. August 2009

Glimpses of homesickness

I am very surprised about myself. I feel perfectly fine here in London and am still enjoying every minute although daily routine is starting to kick in and is keeping me on the chouch on the weekends rather than letting me explore the still very deep unknown depth of London's bits and pieces.
But sometimes a tiny little hint of homesickness is dripping through the umbrella of having a wonderful time. The other day I was queueing in the post office to return a dress I had ordered online. Post office queues in the UK do not in any way vary from those in other countries. They are long, slow moving and only a few counters are open during lunch break. But I did not know how much the parcel or the envelope that transported my dress would be and because I am still not understanding every single word of Carribean spiced Cockney I was also a little afraid that I would get a gruffy customer service (lol) person again. Anyway I was standing in that line and just wishing I was home. To be precisely not home as in Paradeplatz Post office blinded by yellow light and a clumpsy post horn but in an environment where I knew exactly what to expect. Since these feelings occur in situations that would be gone if I had lived here for a couple of months I am not worried about them or my ability to get along in a rather unknown environment. But it reminds me escpecially of one thing. That the concept of home is something I am unlikely to experience for quite some time. I do not know how my life will be after the end of October. Where I will go, what I will work and even not the country I will live in, let alone the city or flat. And this is what I am missing. A prospect of my future. Where I can create a home in.
I am not really worried about this. This is a time everybody goes through more or less. And it gave me a new definition of home. Home is where the heart is. Sometimes it is in a stupid German Post office queue.

Cheers, Tini

Keine Kommentare: